Bullet impact on cars

• Hello,

The last months I've been trying pretty hard to start learning the art of modding cars for GTA V. I've tried to reach as much as I can, but one of the issues I keep running into when learning from models and how they function, is what determines if bullet holes become visible on the car. Some models don't have it at all, some have them only appear in certain spots, and some everywhere. I tried comparing all, but sadly I have not been succesful. Would this by any chance also be related to if a chassis is penetrable with bullets?

Hope you guys can give me a kick in the good direction here. Love your work!

Kind regards,

• Thank you very much for getting back to me. I tried diving in a bit deeper into the user defined settings, and copied everything I saw in the External State ID, flags and User-Defined Options (Stamina, E, etc; not really sure what they do but I put them in), and nothing changed. I then tried to set all ID's to 0, and removing all User-Defined options completely. Sadly it still didn't show a difference for me. It's probably me, but I just can't seem to find it. Since I feel it's all related, maybe it's more helpful if I actually post pictures of the problems I'm facing:

1:

External Image i.imgur.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Bullet holes appear fine all over the car, but the windows cannot be penetrated (they do break though, got that working thanks to the tutorial on this website)
    2:

External Image i.imgur.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Random places in cars where bullet holes just not appear.

• Is the glass actually breaking on those windows? Or only on the windshield like it looks like in your picture.

If you are looking to make the glass break from bullets it is most likely that the collision properties do not have the "Crash" or "crash" property added. Also the material being used for that glass in the material browser requires the same matching "crash" property as well.

Finally the Collision ID on the collision for those pieces of glass need to be of a breakable glass one. I don't recall what the id is for side windows but to just get the effect of a window break you could use "120" for the external id (used for windshields if I recall) just to see if you have addressed the issue. After you get it resolved you can look at a default rockstar model for the correct external id for side windows.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for,

SoCal Thero

• Is the glass actually breaking on those windows? Or only on the windshield like it looks like in your picture.

All the glass actually breaks, on all cars when I shoot at them. I do know how to get that to work. However, the glass breaks but the bullets don't go through in picture 1. I tried to show it by that you can see the bullet impact stopping on the place where the window is/was instead of going through.

• That sounds like the door's collision covers the glass as well. Typically, the door collision is meant to cover the body only, while the glass has its own seperate collision model for the upper part of the door.

Regarding the other issue with the bullet holes, I'd recommend to copy all collision settings from a similar default car. In this case, since it seems to affect the doors, you should check especially the chassis, the chassis_lowlod and the door collisions. If it still doesn't work, you could also try replacing all collision models with those of a default car.

• That sounds like the door's collision covers the glass as well. Typically, the door collision is meant to cover the body only, while the glass has its own seperate collision model for the upper part of the door.

http://forum.zmodeler3.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7666

Bottom 2 vids, watch the part about collisions, you'll see he gives properties to the parts of chassis col that cover the windows. Maybe it's that

I'm gonna do some grinding see if I can fix it with your advices and where I'll end up. I'm actually surprised that you guys are not familiar with the exisiting problem, since there are a lot of models where I've seen this happen. I think most modded Tahoes out there have the problem that I've seen, and some crownvics. I guess for most LCPDFR players it's not the biggest issue, but since I'm trying to model for a roleplay server and make a nice pack for it, it's kind of important that the cops aren't behind bulletproof glass haha. Thanks again guys for your kind help, I'll check it out!

• I ended up solving it by just grabbing the whole chassis collision box from a vanilla car and adapt it to this one. I still can't see the difference between that and what I had, but it works now and that's the most important thing haha. Thanks guys!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!