Why normal maps are important

• This is not a guide, just a demonstration of the power bump mapping can have on a texture. For my Golf Mk7 GTI project, I've been forced to restart using a better base model and interior, the downside being that the interior had awfully low quality textures and would look poor in GTA V. As a result, I've set out to scratch make textures for the dashboard and decided for once to have a go at making my own bump maps without the use of an external tool.

Many don't believe in bump mapping and I wish to show why it shouldn't be neglected. Below are some screenshots of the effect it had, rather jaw dropping I'd say.

The texture & rough bump map

The result, rendered in 3d without the bump map

The result, rendered in 3d with the bump map applied

For those curious on the workings, I will post guide will be posted at a later stage one how to create such bump maps so you needn't worry.

External Image i.imgur.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!