Licence Plates

• Which Licence Plate style do you prefer? 30

The result is only visible to the participants.

Hey everybody,

I've always been curious about which plate style people prefer so I wanted to take a poll.

I have hand full of models I'm working on and wanted to get and idea of which style to add to them.

• For me, not including license plates in the template restricts people who want to use them.

I believe there is a vehicle.meta option to allow you to skip and use default plates, correct? If so, there is no reason not to add it as an option.

• For me, not including license plates in the template restricts people who want to use them.

I believe there is a vehicle.meta option to allow you to skip and use default plates, correct? If so, there is no reason not to add it as an option.

Wrong. including license plates has no advantage over not including them other than maybe if one wants some very weird positioning of letters.

Because:

- You can import custom plates in the car ytd with the name of the SA EXEMPT plate, which I can't recall right now, plate0something... This allows you to have your beloved custom plate for that vehicle (or all emergency vehicles if you just go and replace it in vehshare);
    - You can have custom text(custom number of characters show up on the plate with a script, that I can find if anyone is interested;
    - Standalone plates can have normal maps instead of being flat.

The part about vehicles.meta is made up and you can't magically make it change the texture it's mapped to with just a little bit of text.

• Maybe an idea could be that you use (an) extra(s) for the plates, so if someone wants to use templated plates or default GTA plates, the model would be able to offer both.

I've thought about that as well, but it has two disadvantages:
    1. AI cars will spawn using both, half of the time it won't have the right plate.
    2. You lose extras you could use for ELS or other parts. If you do it properly, you need one extra for each plate, as they're often connected to moving parts like the the trunk or bumpers that could fall off.

• I've thought about that as well, but it has two disadvantages:1. AI cars will spawn using both, half of the time it won't have the right plate.
    2. You lose extras you could use for ELS or other parts. If you do it properly, you need one extra for each plate, as they're often connected to moving parts like the the trunk or bumpers that could fall off.

I think with extra part he means for DEV cars. So that you have a templated plate beneath the normal plate, so you just need to delete the normal one in zmod so you can use the templated plate.

• I've thought about that as well, but it has two disadvantages:1. AI cars will spawn using both, half of the time it won't have the right plate.

yea, I feel that It's up to the author of the model to weigh out the pros and cons, but it was just an idea

I think with extra part he means for DEV cars. So that you have a templated plate beneath the normal plate, so you just need to delete the normal one in zmod so you can use the templated plate.

I meant the whole make the plates actual extras in game, but I believe all dev models should come with that option of default plates or templated plates.

• I think with extra part he means for DEV cars. So that you have a templated plate beneath the normal plate, so you just need to delete the normal one in zmod so you can use the templated plate.

To be honest, I'd expect modders to be able to map their plates to the style they prefer if the model doesn't provide it by default.

Personally, I prefer default plates. If required, it's possible to customize those a lot (font color, outline, text position, background including a normal map). It's even easier to change it for multiple vehicles, you don't need to replace the texture for every single livery on every single car. You can decide what plate you want to replace, you can add new sets of plates and you can enable them only on specific cars, it's a simple setting in the carvariations.

The script @GreenAid mentioned above to change the text on plates can be found here, by the way: https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/license-plate-changer

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!