Visualsettings: Improved Emergency Lights

• Update 2022-06-20

Version 1.3 including visualsettings for default graphics and VisualVanilla has been released and can now be found here:

As I've recently started using VisualV, I've edited the visualsettings.dat to get brighter emergency lights (both ELS and non-ELS) and thought I'd share it. I've also edited the brightness of the other car lights, there's now a noticable difference between the brightness of taillights, brakelights and turn signals, which is useful for cars with only one part for all three (such as the Crown Victoria or the Caprice).

If anybody wants to try the settings for VisualV or NaturalVision, edit update/update.rpf/common/data/visualsettings.dat and replace the following lines:

• After going through several different visual mods, this by far seems to most realistic to me, its reasonably bright during both day and night.

The only thing i changed was the corona size. 1.5 was way to big for me, to the point where it at times blocked the mesh itself. Changing it to .75 gives it a more balanced look.

• The corona settings need to be different indeed when VisualV is not installed. The visualsettings.dat that can be found above uses the following values, tested for vanilla:

Code
    # coronas
    misc.coronas.sizeScaleGlobal                     1.0
    misc.coronas.intensityScaleGlobal                0.75
  • I've recently started using NaturalVision and adapted the visual settings, the emergency lights are brighter and there's a difference between the brightness of the tail light, brake lights and turn signals. The settings can be found in the first post.

Unfortunately, during certain hours at sunrise and sunset with most weathers, there's no bloom effect at all. This seems to be an issue with NaturalVision's timecycles.

• I started to use NV Remastered, too.

And CJ24's visualsettings.dat.

Maybe i'll increase the brightness of the emergency lights at night.

I also recommend to use DarkerNights for a realistic night time.

It also includes a ReShade for more sharpness.

• So, i just started to use NaturalVisionRemastered.

The graphic looks very, very good.

But around 18:00 - 21:00 h the emergency lights look like shit.

I tried different visualsettings, but nothing works.

Any idea?

Until i found a proper solution i use the vanilla graphics again + the visualsettings from CJ.

• That's not caused by the visualsettings, but most likely the timecycles. It's as far as I know the same thing mentioned in the FAQ of NVR's readme:

Question: Why does some of the vegetation have weird lighting during (6:00 to 6:30) and (20:00 to 20:30) in Sunny weathers?

Answer: That is a result of the atmosphere I've created during those hours. I cannot fix this without ruining all the good lighting.

It's one of the reasons why I'm not using NVR anymore and went back to VisualV.

• That's not caused by the visualsettings, but most likely the timecycles. It's as far as I know the same thing mentioned in the FAQ of NVR's readme:

It's one of the reasons why I'm not using NVR anymore and went back to VisualV.

Got ya.

But imo Vanilla looks better than VisualV.

Well, then i keep Vanilla + your visualsttings + some timecycle changes for darker nights.

• Cj24

Changed the title of the thread from “Visual Settings: Improved emergency light brightness” to “Visualsettings: Improved Emergency Lights”.
  • Version 1.3 has been released and can now be found in the filebase:

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!